MOC Exam Process & Requirements
The MOC Application is required in year 7, 8, OR 9 in order to take the Examination in year 8, 9, OR 10 of the 10-year certification cycle.
- Online application and instructions are available in June. An email notification is sent.
- MOC Application must be finalized on the Board's website by September 1st.
- Email reminders are sent as applicable to diplomates prior to deadline dates.
MOC APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Current, Unrestricted State Medical License(s)
- Three Peer Review Evaluations (emailed to peers through the online application)
- Accreditation certificates for all outpatient surgical facilities (if applicable)
- Report of 150 credits of Continuing Medical Education from CME Provider or Summary Sheet of CMEs with certificates from previous 3 years.
- Category requirements: 60 credits in Category I, 50 credits in plastic surgery activities, 20 credits in patient safety
- Advertising Material published within the last twelve months
- Explanation of Professional Issue Questions answered “YES” (if applicable)
- Supporting documentation for disability request (if applicable)
- Hand Surgery Certificate from ABS or ABOS (if applicable - Not required if through ABPS)
- Current driver’s license or valid passport
NOTE: Documents must be uploaded as PDF files. You may access a resource such as www.pdfonline.com to convert files to PDF.
Items on the Application that do not require supporting documentation:
- Listing active, admitting hospital privileges in plastic surgery
- hospital privilege documentation required with Reply Form after application approval
- Listing certification from any ABMS Board other than ABPS (if applicable)
- Listing current membership in one of the Sponsoring Organizations of the Board (if applicable)
MOC REPLY FORM REQUIREMENTS:
- Online credit card payment of Examination Fee
- Appointment/reappointment letters verifying full, admitting and operating hospital privileges in plastic surgery at each hospital. Refer to sample hospital letter.
- All medical licenses which indicate the expiration date
- All outpatient facility accreditation letters or certificates with valid expiration date
2018 MOC Exam Application Cover Letter
2018 MOC Examination Booklet of Information
CME CREDITS FOR MOC EXAMINATION
The AMA awards 60 CME credits for successful completion of the MOC program. Additional information can be found on the AMA website, www.ama-assn.org/go/CMEforms.
On the AMA website, look for "Direct credit application" - requires login, click on "create account." Membership in AMA not required.
PDF ASSISTANCE - Uploading documentation as pdf files for the online processes
- Locate a copier that will scan the document as a PDF file. Many copiers, scanners and fax machines have this capability. Save the PDF’s to your desktop so you can browse and upload from there.
- Scan a letter or picture of a document (jpeg format) and copy to a Word document. Save the Word document as a PDF file. Be sure to select PDF as your file type.
- Scan a letter or picture of a document (jpeg format) and upload it to www.pdfonline.com or a similar service. At minimal or no cost, they will convert the document to a PDF file.
- Those who receive faxes as digital fax images can print to PDF if Adobe Acrobat is available.
- As a last resort, go to an Office Supply store with the paper documents and for a nominal fee, they can provide the individual documents as a PDF file to you on a CD or flash drive that you can use to upload to the Board’s website.