Continuous Certification Activities Process & Requirements
The Continuous Certification Activities are required in years 3, 6, and 9 of the 10-year certification cycle
- Instructions are posted on the Board's website in January.
- Activities must be finalized by December 1st.
- Email reminders are sent to applicable diplomates throughout the year.
Continuous Certification Activities
Step 1: Tracer Procedure Log* (Years 3 and 6)
- Select one tracer procedure
- Enter data from 10 consecutive patient charts (within the last 3 years)
- Review Benchmarking Report
- Complete an approved educational articlealigned with the tracer procedure
- Complete the Action Plan for Improvement
Step 2: Professional Standing Update (Years 3 and 9, CME only in Year 6)
- If NOT selected for audit: answer questions, upload CME documentation only.
- If SELECTED for audit: answer questions, upload all supporting documentation.
- Finalize the Professional Standing Update.
Step 3: Self-Assessment (Annually)
- 30 questions completed annually
- A minimum of 8 assessments per 10-year cycle required to satisfy 10-year exam
Print your Annual Confirmation of Participation Letter
- Available once all activities are completed
*Diplomates may complete any of the following options to satisfy Practice Improvement Activity in lieu of the Tracer Procedure module:
ABPS Quality Improvement (QI) Program
Designed to recognize the work that physicians are already doing to improve patient care in their practices. Physician participation in a QI project, authorship of a recent QI publication, or national registry are acceptable for credit.
The following applications may be submitted for consideration by the Board:
Application for Practice Improvement credit for QI Publication
Application for Practice Improvement credit for QI Project
Application for Practice Improvement credit for Registries
Preview Educational Activities aligned with Tracers
2022 Continuous Certification Activities Booklet of Information