The Board has benefited from the input of the subspecialty societies through its Advisory Councils, which were initiated in May 2000. The Advisory Councils have greatly contributed to the development of the Recertification and Maintenance of Certification and now Continuous Certification Programs. The members serve as item-writers and content experts for the Written and Continuous Certification Examinations. Advisory Council members also serve as Examiners for the Oral Examination.
2018-19 Advisory Council List
SPONSORING ORGANIZATIONS OF THE BOARD
The American Board of Plastic Surgery, Inc. consists of at least 20 Directors who manage the affairs of the Board. The Board elects one Director from names submitted by the American Board of Surgery. Public member(s) are elected from nominations submitted by the Directors. The Board elects at least 19 Directors from names submitted by the following sponsoring organizations:
- The Aesthetic Surgery Education & Research Foundation, Inc.
- American Council of Academic Plastic Surgeons
- The American Association for Hand Surgery
- The American Head and Neck Society
- American Association of Pediatric Plastic Surgeons
- American Association of Plastic Surgeons
- The American Burn Association
- American Cleft-Palate Craniofacial Association
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for the Peripheral Nerve
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Inc.
- The American Society of Craniofacial Surgery
- The American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- The American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- The American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Inc.
- The American Surgical Association
- Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The Plastic Surgery Research Council
- Plastic Surgery Foundation
Once elected to the Board, the Director’s primary obligation is to the Board and not to the Sponsoring Organization.