Residency Training Requirements for Plastic Surgery
Review the Booklet of Information, published annually, for detailed Training Requirements of the Board. See below for a summary of those requirements.
- Residents entering plastic surgery training must complete 5 progressive years of clinical general surgery residency training, sufficient to qualify for certification by the American Board of Surgery (ABS), or approved alternate subspecialty pathway.
- The Board requires a minimum of 3 years of Plastic Surgery Training for Independent programs and 6 years for Integrated programs. The final year must be at the level of senior responsibility.
- Effective July 1, 2014, all 3 years of an Independent Program must be completed in the same institution.
- Plastic Surgery Training must be obtained in either the U.S. or Canada.
- The Board recognizes those programs in the U.S. approved by the Residency Review Committee for Plastic Surgery (RRC-PS) and accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and those programs approved by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC).
- See detailed Training Requirements
- See also Residents who complete plastic surgery training in Canada.