Overview of Continuous Certification Program
The ABPS Continuous Certification Program (formerly MOC-PS) includes continuous self-assessment and learning throughout the certification period(s). Certificates issued since 1995 are valid for 10 years and all Continuous Certification requirements must be met in order to continue certification.
Continuous Certification Requirements
The ABPS Continuous Certification Program requirements are aligned with the four basic components listed below approved by all 24 Member Boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS):
Part I - Professionalism
- Required in years 3 and 9 of 10-year certification cycle
- Verification of the following:
- unrestricted state medical license
- hospital privileges
- accreditation of all outpatient surgery centers
- submission of advertising material
- peer evaluations
Part II - Life Long Learning and Self-Assessment
- Required in years 6 and 9 of 10-year certification cycle
- At least 125 Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits in the previous five years
Part III - Assessment of Knowledge, Judgment, & Skills
- Required in 8 of 10 years
- Successful completion of Self-Assessment Activity
Part IV - Improvement in Medical Practice*
- Required in years 3 and 6 of the 10-year certification cycle
- Completion of one Practice Improvement Module
- data review of 10 patient charts from one operation of your choice
- refer to Tracer Procedures listed in the Activities Booklet
- Review of Benchmarking Report for comparison of data to peers
- Completion of approved educational activity related to selected tracer procedure
- Completion of Action Plan for Improvement
*Alternative options are available to satisfy Part IV requirements. Refer to Continuous Certification Activities Process and Requirements for additional information.
An individual Tracking Page is available upon secure log in to the Board's website. Log in to review requirements by calendar year.
RECIPROCITY WITH OTHER ABMS MEMBER BOARDS
The Board will now grant credit for Parts I and II if requirements are completed through the American Board of Surgery, or another ABMS member board. Contact the Board Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
2023 Continuous Certification Activities Booklet